Thursday, September 16, 2004

Daredevil #64 by Bendis and Maleev

Question: Why am I still reading this book?

Answer: I don't know. I started with issue one of the new series because I'm a fan of Kevin Smith's writing. I kept buying it when David Mack and then Brian Michael Bendis took over. I've continued reading it, I think, out of habit. I'm not even sure where we are in the story. A while ago it jumped ahead a year and Matt was now the Kingpin of New York. Ben Urich stated telling us how this came to be in a long flashback. Are we still in the flashback? I think so, but I'm not sure because now Matt is telling the story. And I really don't feel like going back a re-reading a bunch of issues to figure it out. I'm bored.

The whole book is gray. The tone is gray. The art is gray. The color palette is gray. Monotonous. It's the same note over and over. Sometimes the rhythm varies, but it's still the same note.

There are a few cool Bendis moments is it. When the Black Widow blows the hitman a kiss from 7 blocks away and we see it through his scope, that's cool. But even that is the same cool moment that Bendis has been doing in thes book for the past 30 issues. Monotonous.

Don't get me wrong. I like Bendis' work. Powers is great and it's nice to see it constantly evolving and moving in new directions. Ultimate Spider-Man is a good read. Daredevil, not so much.

Question: Why am I still reading this book?

Answer: I'm not. Not anymore.


Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home