Thursday, December 30, 2004

quit city #1 Warren Ellis and Laurenn McCubbin

This is one of the Apparat books. The imaginary comic line the Ellis created. The books were all supposed to ship in the same week, but that went out the window when Ironwine shipped a few weeks back. I really enjoyed Ironwine. It was Columbo for the twenty-first century. Ellis essentialy said so himself.

I'm not sure what quit city is supposed to be. It's an interesting concept. Emma Pierson has come back home after quitting her gig with Aeropiratika, a group of adventurers something like DC's Blackhawks from what I could gather. The problem with this book is that it doesn't feel like it could go anywhere from this first issue. I know it's only an imaginary line of comics, but I thought the idea was that these were first issues designed to bring us into the world of this comics line. Unlike Ironwine, I wouldn't bother to pick up the next issue of quit city, if there were going to be one.

The biggest problem I have with the book is Laurenn McCubbin's art. It just doesn't work for me at all, from the loose rendering to the in the camera's face story telling. Her work looks like she took photo reference of every single panel then traced over it with her left hand. I know Ellis is a big fan of her art, but I just don't get it.

So the Apparat tally so far is 1 for 2, which is not bad, but not what I had hoped for after reading Ironwine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home